Hey guys! I am going to continue with the college series and tell you about why I joined a sorority and some of the amazing benefits you can receive from being a member!
- Friendships- I have made so many friends from being apart of the Greek System. Recruitment was great because we were all split up into PiChi groups (basically your group for the week led by a couple active sorority women) based on our dorms. I met so many women that lived near me and even after we got into different houses we still hung out regularly. Once you are in your house you also make so many new friends and meet so many different people from yourself. I think one of the greatest things about joining a sorority is the “family” that you receive. Basically as a new member you receive a big and they are like your big sister, then when you are a sophomore you can decide to get a little! You become so close to your family throughout the years and it is wonderful because that allows you to meet other members in different pledge classes (Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, Seniors).
- Leadership– There are so many leadership opportunities!! I 100% recommend getting involved early because it is the quickest and easiest way to meet others and get to learn more about your chapter. There are typically so many different positions and each are designed for different people. Many chapters have a member in charge of their social media and PR which would be great if you are into Communications. There are also positions like Academic Chair and positions that involve planning large events. There are so many great opportunities and I fully believe you should try to take advantage!
- Philanthropy and Service- Each Chapter focuses on a specific philanthropy or service project. It is great knowing that you have an impact- even if it is small. If you are rushing and find a house that doesn’t have a philanthropy you like, don’t completely throw that house to the side! There are many women that join houses and they don’t have a connection to the philanthropy but during their time they learn to love it.
- Networks- Another advantage of joining a sorority is that not only are you joining a house with a number of people, you are also joining a much larger community. I have met so many alumni that were Sigma Kappas and it is great to know that since you have this connection, they are more likely to help you achieve your goals. Whether that be some one to job shadow, or someone to have as a reference, it is a great community to join.
- Socials- Okay this is a fun one. Socials are such a fun part of being in a sorority! They all have a ton of fun themes like Hayride or Dynamic Duo and it is so much fun to dress up with your sisters and date and take pictures and dance. A social was actually how I met some of my best friends freshmen year! It is so cool to look back at the fun pictures and see how the costumes have changed over the years.
- Academics- In my sorority we make sure that academics are a priority. That was a great tool my freshmen year because in all honesty the transition from high school to college can be tough, especially if you add involvement into other clubs and a hard class schedule. The academic support is great because you get to connect with other sisters in the same classes and major as you and you can use them as mentors throughout your college experience. This helped me from being able to choose what professor would work better with me and the order I should take my classes!
The middle of July is upon us and with that means the end of summer is quickly approaching. While it is coming to an end we still have plenty of time to do a few more fun things to make this summer memorable. If you are like me, that means going to the pool a few more times, hanging out with friends, and eating lots!I recently read What’s In My Backpack? — Love, Geeky Girl and I thought it might be a fun post to write up so here it goes!
- My first essential is of course what backpack to choose. In high school, I used to always choose a cute Jansport backpack. They are pretty affordable and come in so many patterns or colors so you can really pick one that speaks to you. My favorite thing in high school was to choose one that was pretty plain and I would decorate it by adding ribbons of my choice. This would also help me to find it if it was in a pile with other similar colors. For college, I have been loving my North Face backpack. I have found that in college my backpack goes with me everywhere. Because of this, I wanted a backpack that was comfortable and still cute. I also love it because it is heavy duty but still very lightweight. I go to school in the Midwest so occasionally we get a random downpour. Despite this, I have never had my backpack soaked through. Typically, you can find some good deals on North Face backpacks as well so even though they are a bit more pricey, they are so worth it!
- My second essential is chargers. On a given day I typically bring my phone charger, a battery pack, and my mac charger. It is so rare that I get to come home right after classes so by having all my chargers in my backpack I don’t have to worry about my phone dying or my computer running out of battery while in the middle of an important assignment. I also love bringing my battery pack. If you don’t have one I would invest in one! I always keep mine in my backpack and it comes in handy when my phone dies in the middle of a class. Instead of pulling out my laptop, I can charge it in my backpack and it will be good to go after class! I found mine for pretty cheap at Target!
My third essential is a water bottle. In college, I guarantee you will start drinking water more. I always carry a water bottle with me and it is a lifesaver. I walk about 5 miles a day just to my classes and activities so by always having a water bottle with me I know I am staying hydrated. I love my Swell water bottle because it is so cute and has a great aesthetic. My aunt also gave me this water bottle that has a compartment for keys and cards. It has turned into a great workout bottle!
- My fourth essential is an umbrella. This really depends on where you go to school but for the most part I think this is a necessity. In the morning I typically don’t look at the weather so if I ever am caught in a downpour, at least I can keep the majority of myself dry. I have found that a small umbrella is perfect because I can keep it in my side pouch on my backpack. If you live in an area that does not experience much rain this may not be the most essential but you may want to exchange it for a nice sunscreen or sunglasses!
- My fifth essential is earphones. I have a few different pairs that I have and rotate depending on my need. My everyday headphones are a pair of pink skull candy ones that are relatively cheap and perfect if I just want to watch Netflix or listen to some music. I also have a pair of wireless headphones that stay in my backpack for when I am walking to and from class or working out. I also have Beats which I love! They are a bit pricey but they are perfect for noise cancellation if I am studying for a test or needing some peace and quiet.
- My sixth essential is my planner! I go everywhere with my planner because without it, I get so stressed out! I have had quite a few planners but the one that I am currently loving is Day Designer. I picked up mine at Target for about $15 and it has helped me stay organized! My favorite feature is that there are only two days per page. This allows me to write out exactly what needs to get done every day. There is also a spot for you to plan your day to the hour. I have tried other planners before and I have found that this is the perfect one for me. I love that although it has plenty of room, it isn’t bulky- a huge plus!
- My seventh essential is gum and snacks! I have had to stay for some late nights in the library and it is terrible when you start to feel a little hungry only to look in your bag and find nothing. My personal favorite is a granola bar because it typically fills me up for the meantime and it is relatively healthy. Gum is also needed because I love to chew on stuff, it will also make your breath better if you have an important meeting with a professor!
- My eighth essential is a pencil pouch. My freshmen year I hadn’t thought about a pencil pouch so for the longest time I was playing hide and go seek with my pens. After a month of this I got tired so I went to Forever21 and found a cute bag for a $3. I’ve had it ever since. I love my bag because it is big enough to carry all my pens and pencils but still small enough where it doesn’t take up too much space! I just got a cute makeup bag and made it into a pencil pouch!
- My ninth essential is my personal pouch. Inside I have chapstick, moisturizer, some hand sanitizer, bandaids, and tampons. You never know when this is going to come in handy and you need this stuff more than you would think!
- My last essential is Advil or Ibuprofen. I never know when a pesky headache will come around and rather than suffer through a lecture I have some medicine to help me through. This has been a lifesaver in the past and you will love yourself for thinking ahead! If you don’t get headaches then consider yourself lucky but if you do, better to plan ahead!
These 10 things have been in my backpack the past three years! If you have any suggestions on what you typically bring let me know in the comments below! I am not an expert and everyone likes to have different things but here are just my favs! Below are some other things you might want to take!